”We would recommend Toby wholeheartedly to anyone who needs sound, realistic and easy to understand advice. 5 stars!”
How it started
I started working for Charlie at Hartley Dental about five years ago, after his website disappeared and he couldn’t get hold of his developer. His accountant Ross Martin recommended me and we started investigating the problem that evening. After recovering his domain logins we got a holding page up and then decided the best way forward was to build a new WordPress site which we did within a few weeks.
Hartley Dental is one of the leading private Dental Practices in Plymouth and has seen steady growth since Charlie Fox took over in 2003.
They are a great client to work with. One because they are fun and don’t take life too seriously, but second because they very much believe in good, old-fashioned, patient-led care. Whilst many UK dental practices have become more ‘business than health care’, Hartley has retained its traditional values. And as the principal dentist, Charlie puts the personal relationship he has with his patients above all else.
How I helped
The work I have done for Hartley over the years has varied greatly, depending on their need, but here is a summary:
- Web: Website build, maintenance and managing the CMS
- Strategy: After we got the website live Charlie asked if I could help the business with their marketing. I went up to meet the team and understand its marketing needs, business values, strategic aims, current marketing resources, sales processes, software and workflows, and KPI targets. Off the back of this, I ran a one day workshop and then wrote a strategic marketing plan for the business that we went on to roll out over the coming years.
- Content: My team and I refreshed all the fixed content for the new website, wrote and sent out email newsletters, wrote a monthly blog post and supplied other copy for brochures when needed. We also supplied various infographics, illustrations, and a new logo.
- Video: Shot and edited videos for the website, including a home page video, ‘meet the team’ film, treatments explained and patient testimonials.
- Social Media: The team at Hartley run their own social media channels but we supported and advised them to help leverage this increasingly important channel to communicate with current and potential patients.
- Print: Design and print of in-house collateral.
- SEO: We advised on SEO, helped with outreach and link building and, managed all on-site SEO and optimisation and introduced the SEO agency 3WhiteHats who provided site audits, advice on SEO, helped optimise local map and business listings and supported the website migration.
- PPC: We advised on a strategy for their PPC campaign, both brand, non-brand, re-marketing, and use of the display network. 3WhiteHats set up the campaign.
- Business Dashboards: I reviewed the business KPIs with Charlie, set up additional marketing KPIs and set up a live dashboard which automatically pulled all this key business data into one place.
- Sales process: I advised the practice to set up a sales process and utilise a CRM type system to manage their leads and inquiries.
Charlie employed a new practice manager called Edd Jones around 2016. He came from a non-dental background with solid management experience and this turned out to be an excellent decision for Charlie. As well as practice and clinical management, Edd soon took an active role in marketing & sales and with the new systems in place, I stepped back from the business in 2018. One of my team, a very talented freelance writer called Tommy Tonkins, still helps out Hartley with their content, web updates and emails.